17 June 2009

Welcome to the real world, Neo.

... I am such a nerd.

Work is kinda weird. It's more tiring than I thought it would be. I mean, for the past six days I've been working at least 6 hours a day, mainly without meal breaks. Thank goodness for 15-minute company-sponsored breaks. J asked me today what my work duties are, and I had to say, I maintain order. That's basically my job description. Need more merch on the floor? I can do that. Need a new tag or need to stash defective merch? I can do that. Need the place straightened up? I can do that. It's kinda boring, but since it doesn't require all that much brain power, I have a lot of time to think.

It gets old, though. At first my feet were killing me. Then it was my knees (particularly my right, though it's always been a problem) and my hips (particularly my left, but again, always been a problem). Now it's my upper back. And the best part is that I haven't even received a paycheck yet. Although something exciting happened today: I actually was called out by name and asked to be put in a specific department. I think that means that I'm doing things well.

In other news, the next episode of LOST that I get to watch is the Season 2 two-hour finale. Awesomesauce. That means that we can take a couple weeks to charge through each of the remaining seasons.

By the way, anyone who has never heard of or has never been to Tim Horton's? Hunt one down and go to it. They have bagels, sandwiches, donuts, donut holes, great coffee, Iced Capps (so delicious), and even iced coffee for summer. I kind of like it better than Starbucks, and that's saying something. Too bad they only have it around Wendy's headquarters (that's my hometown) or near Canada.

Been playing a lot of video games. I was kind of proud of myself: I beat a video game that J got for me in about 20 hours without using a guide for it! That's a big deal to someone like me. I'm a piss-poor gamer but I really enjoy some games.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow. Kind of nervous for it. Hopefully everything goes well.

Oh, and I actually have some study abroad updates. The travel agency emailed me to confirm that they're waiting for the days to go by so that they can schedule our return flights in June 2010. I can't believe this is actually happening. I used to be excited. Now I'm actually scared and dreading it. I've never had to do this kind of disconnect from my normal life. I don't know how I'll handle it. Besides, things with J are finally going in a direction that I like - we're both growing, paying attention to our relationship - and by the end of the summer, we'll already be long distance, and it will only get worse. I can't afford for our relationship to stall right now. I can't afford not to keep him in the loop.

Oh, and one of my tutors emailed me. However, he's asking if some other guy (I assume my head tutor?) has been in contact with me, and I gotta say... no. Nobody else has tried to contact me. I'm starting to wonder if they input my email address wrong: their form asked for all caps and I'm not sure they could handle it.

Also, things got kinda awkward with parents in the last week. So far, this has been the Summer of Suck, from my viewpoint anyways. I hope everyone else has it much better.

- Jen -

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a Tim Horton's.

    What game in 20 hours? Oh yeah, and I finally got to finish Call of Duty 4 last night. During freshman year, I started it and got a little more than halfway during a party in my section, but then the guy whose room I was in came back with a girl.

    Eh, you'll be fine abroad. Here's a tip: stop thinking about it so much. Yeah, you've got to worry about the travel stuff and other practical preparations right now, but as for the other stuff, you'll get there, see what it's like, and adapt.

    Summer of Suck, huh? Mine has kind of become the Summer of Webcomics. I've started and caught up with Order of the Stick and Darths and Droids already, and I started Irregular Webcomic yesterday, but I'm not sure if I like it enough to continue. Oh, and I'm finally reading Ender's Game.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't been to Tim Hortons

    ReplyDelete