19 January 2010

Ranty McRantface is back!

Yes, my last post was full of Americarage (thanks for that word, Justin, it completely encapsulated all of my feelings), but this post will be just... little things I notice, some of which coincidentally end in my rageface.

So, today I went to my first lecture for this term. And it was a nice lecture, really. Apart from a little stammering, the lecturer was mostly coherent and I did actually learn things and take notes. What bothered me was not the lecture itself but the gender ratio represented. The lecturer was female. The ratio of females to males in the audience was more like 20:80 (four girls out of about twenty people that I rounded to before I ran back here to blag about it). It just made me start thinking. At ND, I see this problem too, in philosophy moreso than English. I mean, I get it, our main texts are all written by either dead or decrepit white guys, but that doesn't mean that girls can't find philosophy enjoyable or pick it up as a major. So why, in every course that wasn't the mandated Philo 101 intro or a mandated seminar, has there been a distinct gender bias against women? What is it about philosophy and/or women that causes this? Or am I reading more into it than I should?

---

I'm currently procrastinating bigtime on some of my reading, but at least I finished the one book for my Aesthetics tutorial. Hoooooly crap I have not seen a herd of teal deer that large in the entirety of my life leading up to that time. Partly I was frustrated because probably 3/4 of the work didn't directly relate to the paper I need to write for Friday, but it was also partly due to the fact that I could have just grepped and scrolled had it been electronic and not gone through the dull (dull? completely lifeless) writing style of the (probably non-native English speaking) author.

---

Ever have that problem where you can't fall asleep even when you're a) laying down and b) tired? Yeah. If it took you two hours to fall asleep you'd be a little rageface too. On the upside, it has me still laughing at conversations I had a few days ago. (Oh, pants.)

Anyways, if I let this post get much longer, not only will it start breeding teal deer of its own, but I will also doom myself to complete and utter failure on my 1500 word essay due before 10 AM on Thursday. So, ciao y'all.

- Jen -

ETA: Two miniature notes of despair.

1. It looks as if Conan is taking a settlement from NBC in order to allow Leno back to the 11:35 Tonight Show spot. All I have to say on the matter is that I'm Team Conan and I wish NBC hadn't taken the matter quite so far as for viewers to go to 'teams' like this is Twilight's Team Edward/Jacob.

2. It also looks as though Kraft is looking into acquiring Cadbury for quite a sum of money. The general note of protest from people on this side of the pond is to 'keep Cadbury British.' And as much as, some days, it's one of the few things I like about this silly country, I'd have to agree. If I could just walk to the grocery store in America and pick up a Cadbury milk chocolate bar, it would take away the feeling I get that, hey, I can only eat this in Britain. (Also, American chocolate is terrible. Seriously. Have you ever had Alpen chocolate before? My first experience with European chocolate, and whoo boy, it's much better. And Cadbury is better than Alpen. Long story short, American chocolate is much too salty and brittle for my taste.)

... on a slightly less peeved note, I'm having a craving for ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, Ranty McRantface again? What happened to Jen?

    AMERICARAGE! IT'S LIKE A MOVE FROM A HYPOTHETICAL PATRIOTIC AMERICAN POKEMON GAME!

    Hey, um, ratios are fractions. 20:80 = 20/80 = 1/4 = 1:4. Reduction is nice. Also, don't try looking at gender ratios in engineering classes. Civil is the exception: lots of girls. Offensive joke alert! It's because they're homemakers! End offensive joke alert!

    Also, what was that college that has two campuses and all they do (and they pride themselves on it) is read books by dead white guys? St. John's College or something? (Note: American definition of "college.")

    Yeah, we need to work on the grepping dead trees. Congrats on using the word.

    Mmm, pants.

    Team I Don't Care FTW!

    I'm generally not a fan of chocolate anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually have ratio-to-fraction-to-ratio fail in that section... A 20:80 ratio, while it is also a 1:4 ratio, is acceptable because it's put forth in percentages, just like every college ever with its gender ratio in its profile. Also, ratios are NOT fractions. A 1:4 ratio (or a 20:80 ratio) actually translates to a 1/5 fraction: as in, for every one girl there are four boys, so out of five people, one of them will be a girl.

    ... did I just correct someone more science-y than I am on math-related things? The world is ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like American chocolate. The Swiss and Austrian chocolate I've had is very good, but good American chocolate is good.
    And what point were you trying to make about Cadbury? There is all sorts of stuff that you can only get in 1 country. Confused...

    ReplyDelete