23 July 2009

Are they called sutures or stitches?

Irrelevant of the above question, two of the aforementioned are currently in my upper back, holding together a place where there used to be a mole. I got one removed today during a full skin exam. My family is at a high risk for skin cancer (if you've ever seen me in person, you'll understand -- I really am the 'fairest of them all'). The mole I had removed has a 25% chance of containing malignant growth (big, fat, scary CANCER to the rest of you).

How am I doing? Emotionally, I'm proud of myself: I didn't freak out when the procedure was being done. That's a giant leap for me. I joked with some people that I'd need a couple Xanax before I was ok with what they'd need to do, but apparently if you give me a TIME magazine feature about Twitter, I get so enraged about the Internet that I forget my back is being cut open.

Physically, I suppose I'm all right. I've been taking Tylenol all day for the pain, which isn't too excessive but keeping the swelling down is probably a smart decision. My back feels like it itches/burns. I hope this isn't an allergic reaction to the tape (which, yes, I am allergic to medical tape) but rather my stitches (or sutures?) pulling at the skin; at least that would mean it's healing.

I won't know whether it was actually cancerous for another week or so. My stitches (0r sutures?) don't come out until two days before J goes back to school. (Waste, right?) So, basically, pray for me, everyone, and hopefully I get some normal results back.

That's one way too personal blog entry over with. I need to sleep; I have four straight days of work coming up, combined with a family reunion in Tennessee (which I spelled correctly without Firefox's spell check, I'm so proud of myself). It might be three straight days of work if I'm not able to lift at least five hangers' worth of clothes on my right arm by tomorrow at 4 PM, which is looking more and more probable by the minute. So, I must rest.

- Jen -

1 comment:

  1. "apparently if you give me a TIME magazine feature about Twitter, I get so enraged about the Internet that I forget my back is being cut open" -- I lol'd.

    Good luck with the rest.

    ReplyDelete