17 October 2009

Pubbing and birthdays.

Last night I kind of took the night off from doing anything productive in favor of sitting in pubs and just... hanging out. There were discussions about... hm, let's see... systems of ethics (specifically moral relativism), the word 'khaki' and how it is to be pronounced here, twelve-year-old boys, physics tutorials, and awkward animals. Pretty much a great night.

I also indirectly had my first experience with Hassan's! For anyone who's not actually here, Hassan's is basically like a van that makes food (something like you'd see at a state fair, only a little bit higher class). They make very good chips ('fries') and coat them with all kinds of stuff, like chilli (yes, that's how they spell chili) and cheese, hummus and falafel... anything really. They also make good gyros, burgers, and onion rings (which I can personally attest to). I think sometimes I might have to take a night off from the dining hall in order to really appreciate some of that food.

Among my many revelations last night was that though I have a personal moral system, it is not coherent by any means... I don't even want to go through that brain-bender of a conversation last night again (though it was excellent while it happened). I also got called an aberration because I don't think babies are cute and I have no maternal instinct. Who needs enemies when you have friends like these? haha.

Usually I've been hanging out with the physics kids here... they live right next door (well, the girls do anyways), they're funny, they throw awesome parties, and everyone gets along. Sometimes, though, it's odd just sitting there in the pub while the conversation about tutorials and professors kind of flies over my head. Yes, I got your Taylor expansion joke, though I don't know what it is. Stuff like that.

Last but not least, it's Dakota's birthday today and we need to figure out something special to do. We also as a group need to figure out how to watch the ND vs. USC game today (interestingly, Firefox says USC is a typo but not ND, so we must be better). The physics girls are also throwing a house party, and I also personally have about seven books to read on utilitarianism by Tuesday night (and that's not even my entire reading list for this week). So, I have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in... I think this is gonna be all for today.

- Jen -

3 comments:

  1. You are going out on a limb calling Hassan's higher class than state fair fare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefox? You mean google? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first summer here, I hung out with the Physics REU kids a lot -- they were up on the 4th floor of Keough and had a Wii with Smash Bros set up and were playing all the time. While making physics jokes. It rocked.

    USC is a typo for SUCK.

    ReplyDelete