20 August 2009

Public Service Announcement: Safe driving.

My neighbor's son (17 years old) totaled his car last night. He drove it into a tree while whipping around a corner too fast. Keep in mind, this is a very poorly engineered car for a teenager to be driving, since it only has rear-wheel drive, the tires were designed for dry weather, and it was raining tremendously last night.

The kid is okay, but it kind of struck something home to me. Teenagers, myself included, are not among the world's safest drivers. And I have an idea as to why they might be. Teenagers are so absorbed in the freedom that driving gives them to actually pay attention to the fact that they are piloting a two-ton missile.

Do you think about that every day while you're driving? You're probably too busy adjusting your radio, talking on your phone, searching your iPod, or programming your GPS... perhaps you're even texting. Maybe you're absorbed in how poorly the person in front of you is driving (in your opinion), or maybe you're angry at the driver who just pulled out in front of you. The fact is, it's so easy to get distracted while we are driving a car and so hard to remember that we actually have a responsibility when we enter these death machines.

I'm probably coming across as far too critical, but I try not to forget while I'm driving that I share the road with other things -- other drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians, not to mention small furry creatures. Sure, I enjoy listening to music, but I set my iPod before I get on the road, not after. I make a point of not taking phone calls or texting while I'm driving.

That doesn't stop people like me from getting into accidents, however. Two years ago, I was hit by a sixteen-year-old male who was on his way home from exams while I was on my way to graduation practice. There was heavy traffic, but that didn't stop this kid from using (or as he said in the police report, "reaching for") his cell phone while he turned into his subdivision. He was so distracted by everything going on around him that he didn't notice that he turned into my car. He actually drove home after the accident instead of stopping to see if I was all right and to complete accident report forms.

Even though I didn't cause the accident, it's enough to make me pause and think before I get into a car. And to this day, I still get angry at friends who call me while they're driving. Everyone who reads my blog, and everyone who drives a car, should be smart enough to realize that what you are piloting can easily kill someone, maybe even yourself, if even one small mistake is made. That's a pretty heavy level of responsibility. So please. Don't call or text me while you're driving. Keep a steady hand on the wheel, enjoy your favorite playlist, and be aware of everything going on around you.

(Also, how in the world is it possible to drive into a frickin' tree? Someone please explain this to me.)

- Jen -

3 comments:

  1. I'm writing this comment on my cell phone as I'm driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has driven into a tree, I feel I can explain this a bit. See, when the weather is bad, and you lose control of your car (in particular when you hit the brakes as this happens), it is very easy to hit things like other cars and road dividers and tree. Sometimes we just can't help hitting trees, like when I slid off the road going slightly under the speed limit in (apparently) freezing rain. Then again, sometimes people are just obivious and irresponsible.
    meh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually just on the verge of being freaked out by the two-ton missile thing. I kept the iPod/FM transmitter in such a place that I could easily reach down (as in, a few inches) and hit next song without taking my eyes off the road. And the screen was blocked by the steering wheel, so there was no way I would try to change playlists. Also, no phone.

    And trees don't follow the usual F = G M m / d^2 for gravity -- they have a special G(tree) that makes them attract only cars.

    ReplyDelete